Interop Between Type I & II

Project25
Wiki Admin

Interop Between Type I & II

Post by Project25 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:52 am

Out of curiosity, is there any form of interoperability when it comes to Type I subscribers and Type II subscribers? SmartNet is kind of before my time…but a few airtime customers are running on a Startsite system configured for Type I and trying to figure out a migration path for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Notarola
Site Admin

Re: Interop Between Type I & II

Post by Notarola » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:20 pm

The system controllers wont let you do it. Your only real option would be a console to console patch or if the systems are separated a 'cross system' repeater to patch the TGs together for the migration.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
Project25
Wiki Admin

Post by Project25 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:32 pm

Okay. I was hoping we could use Type II capable subscribers on be Type 1 System that way we can just get them into radios that will handle the next phase of our planned build out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kj4chv
CTF Team Supporter

Post by kj4chv » Mon May 07, 2018 11:17 pm

If you want to change the controller to type II I may be able to help you depending on what controller you have that is.
Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Tue May 08, 2018 4:10 pm

I think he is migrating from a separate type I to a different type 2 system. If they were on the same system then the TGs can be hot patched together until all the units are on the new TG and format.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
kj4chv
CTF Team Supporter

Post by kj4chv » Wed May 09, 2018 2:05 am

Notarola wrote:I think he is migrating from a separate type I to a different type 2 system. If they were on the same system then the TGs can be hot patched together until all the units are on the new TG and format.

Oh ok I wasn't sure what he was trying to do. If he has one of the 6809 based Start-Site or the little Centracom CIE looking Start-Site, I have the ability to create a new codeplug for them.
Project25
Wiki Admin

Re: RE: Re: Interop Between Type I & II

Post by Project25 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:15 am

kj4chv wrote:
Notarola wrote:I think he is migrating from a separate type I to a different type 2 system. If they were on the same system then the TGs can be hot patched together until all the units are on the new TG and format.

Oh ok I wasn't sure what he was trying to do. If he has one of the 6809 based Start-Site or the little Centracom CIE looking Start-Site, I have the ability to create a new codeplug for them.
I believe it's the Centracom based one but the problem is the legacy subscribers (less than 50 units total) would then have to upgrade their subscribers to support the system which is not something they are too keen on. At that point we may as well continue with our plans to skip Type II and go straight to P25.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
kj4chv
CTF Team Supporter

Post by kj4chv » Thu May 10, 2018 2:17 am

Oh ok yeah those type I only radios have a bit of age on them LOL. Time to upgrade!
Project25
Wiki Admin

Post by Project25 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:06 am

Yea yea...I'm trying to figure out a solution. We are likely ditching our TRBO solutions in the near future so I've got to figure out something else to get them on.

This one just came to me, what about a mixed mode Intellirepeater? Might those Type 1 subscribers still function properly if I moved those Quantro's over to an Intelli setup? If so, it would at least get me the ability to get those customers XTL1500's and then get them over to 9600 bps trunking through baby steps.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 pm

Older Type II subscribers (Maxtracs, Spectras, and the like) can absolutely be used on a Type 1 system. I *believe* support for Type 1 stopped with the Astro product line.

Type I subscribers on a II system is also possible, but entailed using a Rosetta Stone conversion chart for the talkgroups that disappeared off of Batlabs years ago.
Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:41 pm

The TG info reference is easy. Its a simple counter. Each TG converts over so fleet 0 subfleet 0 would be TG 0, fleet 0 subfleet 1 would be TG 1 fleet 0 subfleet 2 would be TG 2. when you hit the may Tg for the fleet you continue on so fleet 1 subfleet 0 would be +1 from the last subfleet available for fleet 0.

eg

0-0 TG 0
0-1 TG 1
0-2 TG 2
0-3 TG 3
1-0 TG 4
1-1 TG 5
1-2 TG 6
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
kj4chv
CTF Team Supporter

Post by kj4chv » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:35 am

Project25 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:06 am
Yea yea...I'm trying to figure out a solution. We are likely ditching our TRBO solutions in the near future so I've got to figure out something else to get them on.

This one just came to me, what about a mixed mode Intellirepeater? Might those Type 1 subscribers still function properly if I moved those Quantro's over to an Intelli setup? If so, it would at least get me the ability to get those customers XTL1500's and then get them over to 9600 bps trunking through baby steps.
Changing the controller from Type I to a Type IIi Hybrid system might solve what you are trying to do.
Project25
Wiki Admin

Post by Project25 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:13 am

Long term I'm going to either go to Type II (potentially in the form of an IR site) or just straight to P25. The other weekend I had to run down there and much to my dismay, two of the three Quantro's were flashing PA failure errors (turns out the cavity combiners drifted after not being truly PM'd for 3 years by the previous owner on all five channels). So at the moment, control and one of the voice channels are running on exciter power.
Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Go strait to P25. Once they get used to the clarity over the analog things will go smoother.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
kj4chv
CTF Team Supporter

Post by kj4chv » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:21 pm

I do agree with Notarola. Going digital will require you to replace the analog subscribers anyways. Changing to Type II/IIi or Type II with Astro CAI would be a short term band-aid in your case anyways. I myself and dealing with all the headaches finding all the right things to configure and setup a MTC3600 I acquired to replace a old 6809 system I have running.
Notarola wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:39 pm
Go strait to P25. Once they get used to the clarity over the analog things will go smoother.