Alinco DJ-NX40T

General NXDN/iDAS Discussion
comms ofc

Alinco DJ-NX40T

Post by comms ofc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Any one play with one of these yet? I picked one up to see how they worked against our fleet of Kenwood NX-320's. So far, I'm only impressed by the fact that the charging cradle is also the programming cradle. I've been unable to get this radio to operate on our Kenwood NXDN Repeaters or in simplex to an existing NX-320. I'm taking information directly from an NX-320 codeplug and populating the DJ-NX40T, but no joy.

I've double and triple checked frequency, RAN, etc.

Thank you in advance.
kb1kvd

Re: Alinco DJ-NX40T

Post by kb1kvd » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:26 pm

One thing to check is make sure that the ran's are set properly. Icom and Kenwood NXDN radios have different ran setup. In icom parlance ran 1 is concidered equal to carrier squelch and in kenwood parlance ran none is carrier squelch. I know this might not apply to Alinco NXDN radio's but this has been my experiance with NXDN. Kenwoods have the ability to alias and they send out a packet with the aliasing info before the the voice data is transmitted which is only useful for talking to other kenwoods. In order for Icom NXDN radio's to be able to talk with kenwood NXDN radio's, you have to turn on fast unmute on the icom or turn off the aliasing on the kenwood. Again this may not apply to the Alinco NXDN radio but it's a good point to start.
Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:50 pm

Kb.. from what your saying then i would assume that the aliasing info on the Kenwoods is messing up Icoms ability to either recognize the NXDN headers?
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
kb1kvd

Post by kb1kvd » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:15 am

That's correct. I know later Icom railroad firmware (V4.6.6) was supposed to have fixed this issue.The higher tier icoms (F3360,4360 and so on) were basically Kenwoods inside an Icom case and they never had the header issues.
Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:18 pm

LOL just file off the serial number repaint the unit and claim its something new.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
kb1kvd

Post by kb1kvd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Since kenwood and icom own 50% of each other it's easy to swap and rebrand existing equipment. That's why you're starting to see d-star on kenwood gear and why the higher tier Icom commercial gear is internally kenwood.
Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:49 pm

That would make sense. Have 2 suppliers appearing to compete while providing the identical hardware... nice.

Thank goodness Dstar never caught on around here.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
comms ofc

Post by comms ofc » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:31 pm

I've attached some screen shots from the Alinco CPS as well as a working Kenwood. I'm open to suggestions on things to try.
Attachments
kenwood nxdn conv.PNG
kenwood nxdn unit ID.PNG
kenwood nxdn group.PNG
alinco nxdn settings.PNG
alinco nxdn settings.PNG (10.93 KiB) Viewed 268 times
alinco nxdn channels.PNG
kb1kvd

Post by kb1kvd » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:01 pm

That look pretty close to what my kenwood is setup as, I'm just wondering if you have a screen shot of the channel page the kenwood. I see the channel page for what should be the Alinco, also you want to make the selection for narrow or very narrow match. Kenwood's tend to want to default to narrow (12.5Kc) and Icom's tend to default to very narrow (6.25Kc) for digital. I've seen instances where the kenwood won't even react to an Icom because the Icom was set to 6.25Kc and the Kenwood was at 12.5Kc. As I haven't played with Alinco's version of nexedge I'm only guessing, but from what I can see from the screen shot it looks like they're set up more like an Icom than a Kenwood.
10% of the people cause 90% of the problem and 90% of them are within a mile of your location.

If it wasn't for jerks and idiots life would be pretty dull.
Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Ferom the reading I have been doing the subband frequencies are different for the 12.5 and 6.25. That would explain the not working.

Interesting that each has a different default setting. I suspect that Icom is more European oriented so the default reflects the heaver frequency demand of that region.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
kb1kvd

Post by kb1kvd » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:50 am

That's right, Icom is more of a global rig in regards to NXDN. Kenwood on the other hand makes their radios by region (i.e. Europe,Asia and North America.) I can remember the Amtrak radio shop in Providence having trouble with making Icom's and Kenwood's talk, and it turned out the bandwidth was wrong. It would be nice if Icom and Kenwood would make mention of that in their paperwork or when you're talking to their engineers.
10% of the people cause 90% of the problem and 90% of them are within a mile of your location.

Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:51 pm

Most engineers take the info from marketing. They dont actually do any research of their own (lazy). This explains a lot of 'stupid' configuration or defaulst setting issues.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
kb1kvd

Post by kb1kvd » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:36 am

That's the most infuriating thing with the radio manufacturers today. Luckliy for us we're a full depot level railroad owned radio shop and we have access to quite a bit of information and software from Icom. We even have a direct line to the Icom engineers, which has come in quite handy when we discover a issue with their radios

Notarola
Site Admin

Post by Notarola » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:48 pm

Yes sometimes it is nice to be able to call up someone and say we have this problem these is the symptoms we are seeing. Its even better when the person at the other end of the line actually knows what your talking about.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
comms ofc

Post by comms ofc » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:19 pm

Well, I took the screen shot, but missed it when uploading.... Here it is:
kenwood nxdn channels.PNG