MASTR III - General Opinion?

MOTechGuy

MASTR III - General Opinion?

Post by MOTechGuy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:39 pm

I've found what I think is a deal on a range 1 VHF MASTR III. It is an analog only one, model SXHMCX. I do plan on interfacing an MMDVM to it.

My question, what's everyone else's opinion on it for ham use? Are they decent repeaters?

Should I pass it and buy a Quantar instead?
NavyBOFH
CTF Mod

Re: MASTR III - General Opinion?

Post by NavyBOFH » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:10 pm

For the price and your intended use with the MMDVM - I'd say go for it. They seem to be solid performers in terms of reliability - and the RF modules are easy to find (easier than Quantar parts at this point) and seemingly dirt cheap. Repeater Builder also has an easy tutorial to change VHF R2 boards to R1 using some cap nuts and silver solder to lengthen the tuning stubs.

In all, I am looking at doing exactly what you're doing. I have a VHF R2 Quantar complete except for a matching VHF R2 PA module - and I can't find one for less than $900 - at which point I can build an entire MMDVM repeater and save the Quantar for later.
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
MOTechGuy

Post by MOTechGuy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks for the info. I went ahead on the deal, we'll see how it works with an MMDVM. Finally found the MASTR III R17 DOS programming software so now I can program it.

Additionally, I have a lead on a VHF R2 MASTR III, but not really interested in all the modification that's required.
Project25
Wiki Admin

Post by Project25 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:40 pm

The only irk I have with the VHF MASTR III is the receivers aren't great (if you don't have the pre-amp option). About 6 months ago I had the opportunity to perform a side-by-side with a VHF Quantar, MASTR III and MASTR IV (which simply adds a "modem" option to the MASTR III). The analog receive sensitivity on the Quantar was 10 dB weaker than than the MASTRs. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the programming software for the MASTRs to put the IV into BER test mode.