Motorola APX Firmware 18 and above moving forward

APX Series Radios Discussion
Forum rules
The requesting of licensed software is strictly prohibited.
pepsima1

Motorola APX Firmware 18 and above moving forward

Post by pepsima1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:54 am

Word on the street is v18 does exactly that:

A cut-out from APX firmware version 18 readme, says

Abstract: Hosted Depot Updates
System Platforms Affected: All
Special Configurations: N/A
Description: This is a strategic initiative to address the security and robustness limitation found with the usage of older depot tools. Blocks the older stand alone depot tool from updating new firmware and Flashport.
The older firmware will still have the issue, and cannot be changed, so the fix will only apply to new firmware versions in this release and beyond.
The old depot tool key was being copied and replicated.
Notarola
Site Staff

Re: Motorola APX Firmware 18 and above moving forward

Post by Notarola » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:50 pm

A step in the right direction. This will prevent older radios from being updated to newer codeplug/flash and firmware versions.

DEPOT radios can be toolproofed futher. I dont think its appropriate to go into how this can be done. The use of depot has created all kinds of headaches the biggest being screwed up units being sold as legitimate units.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
NavyBOFH
CTF Mod

Post by NavyBOFH » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:08 pm

I am glad it is happening. Of all features it seems hams want to hack with Depot, it is the Q52 Federal FPP that is mentioned most in these debates. Except with the new EID structure it means someone authorized to buy the EID can buy them in bulk and resell. True - not quite "Motorola Approved", but better than stealing their software. Th Q52 FPP lists for around $150... I would happily spend $150 to have a legitimate FPP upgrade.

And now with the EID structure it means I can buy the EID, you pay via PayPal, and you get a code in your email with your new feature. No more iButtons, files, Motorola dealer intervention. Minus the cost, this can make things easier for hams and people with individual radios.
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
Notarola
Site Staff

Post by Notarola » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:54 pm

Lets hope that Motorola makes it easy to get the EIDs without having to have MOL or an account.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
NavyBOFH
CTF Mod

Post by NavyBOFH » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:50 pm

Notarola wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:54 pm
Lets hope that Motorola makes it easy to get the EIDs without having to have MOL or an account.
I have a feeling they'll go with the standard jump-around for EIDs like they did for the TRBO line. My thing is I hope that we can buy EIDs without much drama... like the AES EID for TRBO. Something tells me their "sales team" will do whatever they can to be idiots about this new setup.

I haven't even seen an EID list for the new flashcode features so I wonder how this will unfold.
Editable Google map for P25 systems. Google P25 Map
To join the "CTF Team" and help support the forum, click "Donate" below!
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
Notarola
Site Staff

Post by Notarola » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:04 pm

I have not seen anything either at this end. We have a substantial fleet of APX and the EID method may not be practical if there is a major upgrade wanted. I guess it all depends on how the EID upgrade is configured. A radio by radio upgrade is not practical, any EID would have to be for a large (more than 100 units) fleet. Having to buy a EID for EG 123 radios can be prohibitive cost wise. The old method of going on line and using the Moto server worked fine for that type of upgrade.

I would be interested in seeing (privately) a APX EID just so I can say I have seen one. I know it will just be a string of data. I believe the more you know the better you are prepared for issues if and when they popup.
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]
Project25
Wiki Admin

Post by Project25 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:42 pm

My only problems with the EID update process used by TRBO subscribers is the fact that once the EID is loaded onto a computer, that computer is the only one that can update the feature. Of course the work around for this to do this when on site to perform the upgrade but I've found I'm lucky to have AT&T coverage at some 75% of my customer locations.
Notarola
Site Staff

Post by Notarola » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Once the radio is upgraded the EID is useless anyway. In theory having the EID on one computer should be fine. Or am I missing something?
[paypal]Donate[/paypal]