RIOS

RadioRookie
CTF Team Supporter

RIOS

Postby RadioRookie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Has anyone had any experience with RIOS by SyTech Corporation? From what I understand, it's more than just a patch when it comes to interoperability across multiple platforms. It's a gateway that combines radio, telephone, computers, VoIP, video, etc. etc.

The agency my wife works for is implementing this technology. On the surface it would appear that it's another attempt for an interoperability system between neighboring agencies. Which is already in place and has been for quite a while. (ORION) Overlay Regional InterOperability Network. Which is a 15 county multi site P25 700/800 MHz Phase I system.

Looking further into RIOS, it seems as though the advantage is that any platform can utilize this for interop without having to purchase specific radios with specific programming. Analog can communicate with P25 Phase II, P25 Phase I can communicate with DMR, and many many more variations.

Thoughts? Opinions?
“When you tell somebody something, it depends on what part of the country you're standing in as to just how dumb you are.”

Firebuff880
CTF Team Supporter

Re: RIOS

Postby Firebuff880 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:03 pm

RIOS, JPS ACU, ICRI, BASECAMP, RAVEN and any number of others have been on the market for many years.

All have pros an cons. RIOS if I remember right is a little more computer dependant than some of the others.

One commonality is you need / needed a donor device and appropriate interface cable. Now some are IP based with adapter boxes.

RadioRookie
CTF Team Supporter

Postby RadioRookie » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:56 am

I had no idea it had been around that long. The way SyTech was pitching it, you would have thought it is the latest greatest thing in interop.
“When you tell somebody something, it depends on what part of the country you're standing in as to just how dumb you are.”

Project25
Wiki Admin

Postby Project25 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:02 am

RadioRookie wrote:I had no idea it had been around that long. The way SyTech was pitching it, you would have thought it is the latest greatest thing in interop.

I've heard that before...with MCC7500 consoles.

Return to “Networking”